Re: RARA-AVIS: Question for Mr. Sallis

From: JimSallis@aol.com
Date: 24 Feb 2004

David,

Thanks for your kind words. I hope you'll go on enjoying my books.

As to allusions and quotes, I think for the most part they're covered under "fair use."

I play a lot of games in the Lew Griffin books -- some with the readers, some with myself, some with friends. The "guy with a Greek name" was meant to make George smile when he read it. There are a lot of similar touches playing off people from New Orleans, Bob Skinner among them. And yes, I meant Canongate, who published my Himes biography. The novels are published in the UK by No Exit.

I hear frequently from readers who have gone on to read some of the things I mention in the Lew Griffin books-- Blaise Cendrars and so on. I may not have a cast of thousands as readers, but the readers I do have are a smart bunch.

Jim