RARA-AVIS: Miker's Definitions

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Feb 2004

I think Miker put it succinctly when he said:
"noir is just a type of story and hardboiled is a type of character--and they are found everywhere"

Yes, and we could stop reaching backward beyond 1920 or so, but it is interesting to bring up writers like Dostoyevsky and Kafka--and even Shakespeare.

Isn't there a social element to our search as well? Isn't what we call noir about the lower strata of society, the one we used to call lower-middle class?

(Interesting that our politicians has broken the class struture to poor, middle-class, and rich, putting about 80% of us in the middle group no matter what our income.)

Of course Chandler reached into the upper classes and Hollywood did the same with a few noir films.

I still go back to "Screwed" and "tough," as the least common denominators of each type of story, but I like Miker's breakdown of hardboiled characters and noir stories.

Jack Bludis

===== http://JackBludis.com Now: "The Big Switch," and "The Deal Killer" Coming in June: "Shadow of the Dahlia"