RARA-AVIS: Hemingway Thread

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Feb 2004

I just returned from Left Coast Crime, and I'm a bit behind in my posts.

Someone said that the first half of *To Have and Have Not" was noir. I think it is noir all the way to the faux "Molly Bloom" solioquay at the end of the book.

Chandler's over-referensing of Hemingway jolted me out of the story just as most of his metaphors do.

No matter how much we like beautiful language, the story is still the thing. For beautiful language, I go to poetry.

But that's just me.

Jack Bludis

===== http://JackBludis.com Now: "The Big Switch," and "The Deal Killer" Coming in June: "Shadow of the Dahlia" 2/20/04 LCC--The Short Story Panel