Re: RARA-AVIS: Hemingway noir

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 24 Feb 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Thornton" < tieresias@worldnet.att.net>>

>>From Al Guthrie:
> > It can indeed, but I'd suggest the hardboiled epithet is a better fit.
> > Emotionless noir, to my mind, is an oxymoron.
>
> I don't think there's anything "emotionless" about Hemingway's work.
> "Stoic," perhaps ("A Clean, Well-Lighted Place," or "Cat in the Rain" come
> to mind here), but hardly devoid of emotion.

Oops, it sounds as if I was commenting on Hemingway. That was supposed to be a general response to Valerie's comments about "emotionless...phrases." Emotionless=tough=hardboiled, not noir -- that's all I intended to say. It's so long ago since I read any Hemingway that I wouldn't wish to comment one way or the other. If, indeed, there is an 'other'. So far, everybody
(including Valerie, who used and then retracted the word 'emotionless') has agreed that his writing's emotional.

Al