RARA-AVIS: Eddie Albert and Noir

From: chrisaschneider@earthlink.net
Date: 23 Feb 2004

Miker wrote:
> Ever seen the movie [of "Sun Also Rises"]?
> The Green Acres guy (Eddie Fisher) as Bill
> is one of the most ridiculous miscastings I've ever seen.

Eddie Albert -- and it *is* Albert, not Fisher -- existed before "Green Acres" was a twinkle in Paul Henning's manic eye. One of the things he did was give a very decent performance in "Roman Holiday" as an American expatriate who's a friend and advisor to Gregory Peck. The "Sun Also Rises" performance works as an extension of that previous Roman one.

As long as we're talking Eddie Albert and noir, though (and I don't mean those lost "Green Acres" episodes dealing with *amour fou* and Arnold The Pig), we should also mention a fine moment in the Robert Aldrich-directed '70s film "Hustle."

Says Arnold to Burt Reynolds, concerning a missing daughter fallen into bad company: "That girl could milk a crowbar ..."

Author of script: Steve Shagan.

Chris