Re: Jack O'Connell (as Re: RARA-AVIS: Question for Mr. Sallis)

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Feb 2004

--- William Denton < buff@pobox.com> wrote:

> I don't think Jack O'Connell's ever been mentioned
> on the list before
> yesterday. What's the best book of his to start
> with? I see BOX NINE,
> WORD MADE FLESH, WIRELESS, and SKIN PALACE by him.

I've read them all except for SKIN PALACE, and mostly liked them. Umberto Eco and Philip Dick take a walk down Ellroy's mean streets, sort of, if you can imagine that kind of conglomeration. Much playing around with postmodern notions of storytelling and narrative.

BOX NINE fell apart at the conclusion, I thought, WIRELESS was strong and WORD MADE FLESH was absolutely terrific. I'm not sure, though, that I'd start with FLESH: O'Connell's world is a strange one, and BOX NINE is a good introduction to it.

doug

===== Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com