Re: RARA-AVIS: Hemingway noir

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Feb 2004

For me, Hemingway's appeal is *mostly* emotional, not aesthetic. I don't admire his style. Come to think of it, if a fiction writer no longer appeals emotionally to the reader, he is likely to become dead wood. We read for all kinds of reasons, but the fiction that stays pulls strongly at the emotions.

For example, only recently did I realize that I am a Faulkner fan for emotional reasons. With Hemingway and Nathanael West, it was clear from the beginning. Incidentally, Hemingway, who is loved and widely read in Spain, is considered a strong writer there because of the emotional appeal of his stories.

Best,

mrt