Re: RARA-AVIS: Hemingway noir

From: Valerie E. Polichar ( valerie@ucsd.edu)
Date: 23 Feb 2004

> I don't see a relation between Twain and Hemingway and the
> noir type of story
My personal opinion: I see a lot of noir in Hemingway's short stories. It comes across (for me) in two ways: the fact that, in many of his stories, the characters are inexorably locked into fates they can't escape; and the structure of his writing itself. I think his short-sentence, plain-spoken language influenced scores of noir writers. Great punch can come from describing the most desperate of situations in emotionless, ticker-tape phrases.

Valerie