RARA-AVIS: Mark and Ernie noiring about: Taboada

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 23 Feb 2004

-----Original Message----- From: Mario Taboada
"You forgot to mention the unquestioned legacies of both Twain and Hemingway in the home-grown school."

I don't see a relation between Twain and Hemingway and the noir type of story, though The Sun Also Rises is a marvellous loser's story. I associate Twain, Hemingway and Hammett with the tough and colloquial style that we call hardboiled. As I write this, I feel uneasy because Twain wrote (tried to write) the way people spoke, whereas Hemingway's language sounds artificial. Well, maybe big-game hunters talk like that to each other...

--Or would-be US samurai. Same sort of machismic posture.

Twain's full of noir, if a heightened Tragic Sense of Life is a component. The downriver sequences of FINN, the whole of PUDD'NHEAD WILSON, and not a few of the more bitter shorter work. Not exactly Cornell Woolrich, but the latter may've appreciated the sense of doom present within these and other Twain works.

I imagine "Snows of Kilimanjaro" could be made to fit, as well. But clearly
"unquestioned" may not be the best available adjective. TM