RARA-AVIS: Jack O'Connell

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Feb 2004

William Denton wrote:

I don't think Jack O'Connell's ever been mentioned on the list before yesterday. What's the best book of his to start with? I see BOX NINE, WORD MADE FLESH, WIRELESS, and SKIN PALACE by him. Are there any others?

***************** That's the question I came on to ask. O'Connell sure had a lot of author blurbs to his favor. I recognized Neil Gaimon (sp?), James Ellroy, and Daniel Woodrell. I think the BOX NINE is the first of a series that's set in a town based on Worcester, Massachusetts.

I gotta story about Worcester. I was out there on business several years ago. If I recall correctly, it's a fairly good-sized burg on the outskirts of Boston. I flew into Logan and got a car and I stopped at a gas station to ask for directions and told the guy I was looking for Worcester. I pronounced it War Ses Ter. He gave me a sideways look and declared that I wasn't from them parts. The locals pronounce it Wu Ster.

miker