Re: RARA-AVIS: Question for Mr. Sallis

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 23 Feb 2004

Jim Sallis wrote:

"But what about Danny Woodrell, Jack O'Connell, Shira Rozan, John Harvey? There's just too much rich, various, highly original work going on these days for us to be held to historical categories."

It's funny that you mention Jack O'Connell. I'm nearing the end of your Ghost of a Flea (about which I'll write more when I reluctantly finish it, reluctantly because I'll be sorry when this great capper to a great series is over) and I keep thinking of Jack O'Connell's books. On the surface, there is little in common between your books or characters, but both of you are seriously expanding the boundaries of the form. You both clearly have a great knowledge of crime fiction, but see it at most as a hub of your work instead lines to color within, spinning off into amazing directions to create new, unique visions of the world and the way people relate to each other. Both of your books also explore writing itself and its role in the way we communicate with each other.

Do you happen to know if O'Connell has anything new on the horizon?

Mark