Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: US point of view

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 21 Feb 2004

Oh yeah,Geir also wrote:

"Does this mean that US ears and eyes are more sensitive than the ears and eyes of Europeans? Only joking, of course, . . "

Actually, in terms of labeling (at least of certain groups), I'd say US ears can be very, very sensitive.

". . . but what's the difference between our - errr --- homosexuals (?) and yours?"

Often, it's not even the group itself who objects, but outsiders who are trying to protect the group in question -- which strikes many, including me, as being equally patronizing, if not more so.

Just look at the debate over Pelecanos's use of a few weighted words. No one objects to Iceberg Slim's or Dennis Cooper's use of the same words.

Mark