RARA-AVIS: One for the Money

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 16 Feb 2004

Just finished the first book in Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, ONE FOR THE MONEY. I've never read her before. It was a lot of fun. Early in the book I thought that I would grow tired of Plum's continuous stream of self-deprecating humor, but that didn't happen. Humor adds a balancing counterpoint to an ominous plot.

In this one Plum has lost her job as an underwear buyer for a department store and is desperate for money so she takes a job running down bail-jumpers for her cousin Vinnie's bail-bonding business.

I understand the difference between fiction and nonfiction and I'm not one of those who is put off when fictional details don't match the real world, but I did have to crack a smile when Stephanie declared that she removed and hid a vehicle's distributor cap as a quick and easy way to prevent somebody with a set of keys from driving it. Did she also unplug all the plug wires from the distributor cap and, if so, how did she keep track of how they went back on?

miker