Re: RARA-AVIS: Larry Kent

From: Rene Ribic ( reneribic@bigpond.com)
Date: 15 Feb 2004

Hello Geir, The book is The Australian Vintage Paperback Guide and is no doubt still available from the publishers, Gryphon Books, their webpage is: http://www.gryphonbooks.com/

I should warn you that the book, although it contains many illustrations and some info about authors, etc, it is basically just a listing of paperbacks printed in Australia from about the 50's to late 60's. Also, Gryphon are more in the line of a semi-professional outfit, meaning the book is a little pricey and a bit on the amateurish side as far as production values go. It doesn't really worry me, I'd rather have the material available in a semi-professional presentation than non-existent with a slick finish but I know some here have expressed disappointment with the quality of the production values. I would only recommend the book if you're a fairly serious collector of vintage paperbacks, especially Australian pb's, of course. The series was originated by ex-pat American Don Haring, who also wrote, probably, the vast majority of the novels which were published in Australia by Cleveland Press from 1954 to 1983. The novels not written by Haring were written by Aussie author Des R. Dunn, also a very prolific author under a plethora of pen names. The covers of the Aussie digests usually featured paintings of leggy babes and sported titles such as This Way, Sucker!; Cutie, Quit Calling!; Mink Minx; Dig Me a Dame! (yes, the exclamation marks are part of the titles) and over a thousand of them appear to have been published. That pretty much sums up the info in the book on Larry Kent, except for the individual listings of all the books. Hope this has been some help and either has saved you some money or whetted or your appetite to purchase the book, whichever.

Rene
 When the Guide was published (1994) they were still going strong in Scandinavia

----- Original Message ----- From: "Geir Glosvik" < gglosvik@online.no> To: < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2004 2:56 PM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Larry Kent

http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .