Re: RARA-AVIS: Sheldon Lord

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 13 Feb 2004

Mario wrote:

"if the author doesn't want them reprinted, the books must be pretty bad."

Chandler didn't want the Killer on the Road short stories reprinted. I absolutely understand why -- he thought they were superseded by the novels for which he cannibalized them -- but I sure would miss them.

Gier replied:

"I definitely don't agree. If you know the works of Bob Dylan, you'd know that he often left the best of his works off the albums."

I've got to side with Gier here.

Mario, you're a big jazz fan. Aren't you happy to hear all of those previously unreleased takes that are added to so many CD releases? Can't they even add to our understanding and appreciation of works we thought we knew? Man, that Jack Johnson box is great, expanding a single album to five CDs.

Mark