RARA-AVIS: Unfilmed but should be

From: Jim Beaver ( jumblejim@prodigy.net)
Date: 11 Feb 2004

I'm always on the lookout for a good novel or short story to adapt for the screen and have in fact attempted to option several properties purely as a result of reading them following recommendations from this group. Although my personal life is in crisis right now due to my wife's illness, and I am unable at present effectively to do any screenwriting, I'm not prevented from reading likely properties.

Laying aside the opposition some may have to the notion of adapting stories to the screen, I would like to know what stories or novels of years past members of this group think should have been filmed or would make good movies now. In particular I'm thinking of more obscure properties that might likely be available for option rather than the latest John Grisham
(not that anyone here would suggest Grisham!)

Please give consideration to the real needs and concerns of film adaptation--highly visual stories generally make better films than those built primarily from interior monologues. That doesn't mean car crashes and explosions--the films of THE MALTESE FALCON and THE GRIFTERS were devoid of either but were highly visual nonetheless. I'm very interested to know what you might consider an unjustly overlooked tale.

Jim Beaver