Re: RARA-AVIS: John MacDonald's colors

From: calvin branche ( cbranche@earthlink.net)
Date: 08 Feb 2004

At the 1983 Bouchercon, where JDM was given the Lifetime Achievement Award, he was interviewed by Ballantine Books. Although the tape I had of that interview has been lost I remember showing it to my mystery fiction classes. In that tape JDM related the story of how the idea of colors came to be used. He used airport bookstalls as an example, saying that it was very easy for a hurried traveler to pick out a McGee he hadn't read.