Re: RARA-AVIS: Review of new Elmore Leonard book

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Feb 2004

Geir,

Re your response to Mr. Sallis's comment below:

> I'm very happy to know
> there's more ahead
> from your pen. But
>
> > a woman who was abducted at age 8 and kept in a
> box beneath her
> > abductor's bed. Now an adult, she's become a
> wonderful person.
>
> seems a little far-fetched to me. I'm sure you get
> away with it, and I
> certainly look forward to reading it.

In fact, Mr. Sallis's proposed plot sounds very much like an actual case that occurred in California some years ago. The real-life victim was 20 when she was kidnapped, but she was kept a captive for 7 years, and much of that time she was imprisoned in a box underneath her abductor's waterbed.

Christine McGuire, who prosecuted the kidnapper, wrote a book about the case called PERFECT VICTIM with journailst Carla Norton. You can find out more about the book at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0440204429/qid=1076179196/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-8874465-4763027?v=glance&s=books

At least I hope you can. SOmetimes, those long URL's flummox me.

JIM DOHERTY