Re: RARA-AVIS: Sallis and a hundred more

From: Pierre-Paul Durastanti ( elvelyn@club-internet.fr)
Date: 06 Feb 2004

James Sallis wrote:

> I can only hope you understand how much this means
> to someone who labors in silence and solitude.

Even in far-off France, there are people who have been reading you for long, and in another genre. I think "Faces and Hands" and "The Creation of Benny Good" were your first works I chanced upon, translated in French science fiction anthologies. I was delighted to find *novels* by James Sallis later on. And I read your essay on Chester Himes, brought out by Rivages here, with sheer delight. (Himes is my favourite black noir writer, something I could never say meaningfully in French. <g>)

Thanks to you, then. This may seem corny, but I'm glad to be able to say thanks for those stories, novels and essays. Gee, sometimes emails are so much more than spam.

-- Pierre-Paul