Re: RARA-AVIS: Sallis

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Feb 2004

Chris wrote I'd love to hear comments from anyone else who enjoys the Lew Griffin books like I do and I'll try to comment more on my favorite aspects of this series soon.

*************** I've only read LONG-LEGGED FLY, but I thought it was good. Very intense, starting with the action in the first few pages, and progressing to his break-down.

What did you think of the big time sweeps? I found it a little disconcerting, but that could easily have been his intention. And what did you think of the ending that sorta leaves you hanging? Are we talking post-modern here?

Of the three authors he discusses in DIFFICULT LIVES, I thought that he mose closely paralleled Chester Himes. This is probably a weird comparison, but FLY kinda reminded me of Behm's EYE OF THE BEHOLDER. In addition to the obvious time warp, the protagonist is prone to confusion and seduction by the dark side.

I've got the MOTH book on the flip side of the first one, but haven't got to it yet.

miker