Re: RARA-AVIS: Sallis

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 03 Feb 2004

William Denton wrote:
> Mr. Robison has spoken highly of this book. Is it a mix of biography and
> criticism? From what I can see from the online bookstores the 2000
> edition has gone out of print, and most used copies listed online (of
> that or the 1993 edition) aren't cheap.

******************* As Al has noted, it is a mix of biography and critcism. It's more like a running narrative bibliography mixed with biography and criticism. I've written up some comments on the book. I'll post them tomorrow.

I'm not really certain that such a skinny book is worth what it's costing used, but I did enjoy it. Sallis leans heavily on Geoffrey O'Brien's classic
(HARDBOILED AMERICA?), especially for the section on Goodis. The book made me want to read more by all three authors and Sallis too.

miker