Re: RARA-AVIS: Sallis

From: Al Guthrie ( allanguthrie@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: 03 Feb 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "William Denton" < buff@pobox.com>

> On 3 February 2004, Chris Martin wrote:
>
> : I'm delighted that James Sallis month has arrived. I kicked it off by
> : reading Difficult Lives, his study of Thompson, Goodis and Himes. It
> : made me realize how woefully underread I am of their work. It's a nice
> : book and it gives some background on Sallis's exposure to this genre as
> : well.
>
> Mr. Robison has spoken highly of this book. Is it a mix of biography and
> criticism? From what I can see from the online bookstores the 2000
> edition has gone out of print, and most used copies listed online (of
> that or the 1993 edition) aren't cheap.

It's still available at $15, the original cover price of the 2000 edition, from the publisher, Gryphon Books. It may be expensive for such a slim volume, but the well-dressed noir fan shouldn't be seen without it. Brilliant stuff, particularly on Goodis. A mixture of biography and criticism, but, for obvious reasons in Goodis's case, a lot more emphasis on the latter.

Al