Re: RARA-AVIS: Beattie reviews Leonard

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 01 Feb 2004

Mario wrote:

"And the genre thing is going away, at least in publications like the NYTBR and the NYRB (which also regularly reviews Leonard and other crime writers)."

Why would it be a good thing if "the genre thing" vanished? As long as
"crime writer," as you classify Leonard yourself, is a classification and not a value judgement (as it too often is in practice), what's wrong with it? I like the fact that reviews like the Washington Post's Book World have a monthly roundup of mystery reviews, along with Patrick Anderson's weekly reviews of crime fiction in the Style section (even if he's far more interested in thrillers than I am). I can glance at it to see if they are covering my kind of crime novel that month and, if so, check out some of the latest titles, many of which I may never know about otherwise. I also like that there are places like Rara Avis not only dedicated to crime fiction, but crime fiction of a particular sort.

Mark