RARA-AVIS: NOIR ORIGINALS and Charles Williams

From: Ed Lynskey ( e_lynskey@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Jan 2004

I went over to new issue of NOIR ORIGINALS. This issue covers the crime writer, James McKimmey, and is a substantial one. The letter from his friend, John D. MacDonald, is well worth the price of admission. Also, the long, meaty interview is interesting. A tip of the fedora to editor Al Guthrie and all the contributors, some also fellow rara-avians.

I also finished reading Charles Williams' AND THE DEEP BLUE SEA
(1971), another of his rousing seafaring yarns. Buried in the narrative, Mr. Williams philosophizes a bit about the Vietnam War and other modern angst, using his protagonist as a mouthpiece. As far as I know, this marks the only CW title to be nominated for an Edgar (Best Paperback Original, 1972).

Ed Lynskey

=====