RARA-AVIS: Wrapping up SF month

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 28 Jan 2004

Well, there wasn't as much discussion about hardboiled and noir SF as I'd hoped, but it's been a quiet month all over. I won't give away any spoilers, just in case, but the ending to THE DEMOLISHED MAN by Bester really made me groan. Surely it wasn't original even back then? Maybe it was the psychoanalytic approach? Aside from that, an excellent book.

Lethem's GUN, WITH OCCASIONAL MUSIC I'd say is a fine first novel. The Chandler characters and Hammett plot are nothing fresh, except that some of the people are actually artificially evolved animals. The SF side of it is a bleak future where people sniff legal drugs that make them forget daily life and are watched by cops who can send them into cryogenic freezing if their karma points get too low.

Now, next month is James Sallis month. I e-mailed him and asked if he'd like to join, and didn't hear back. If any of you know him well, perhaps you could ask again. If not, speak up if you've read any of the Lew Griffin stories; if you haven't, try one out. Sallis is admired by many rare birds.

Bill