RE: RARA-AVIS: Early Daly (and Newman) and Late Torrey (and S&S D ETECTIVE STORY): Moore

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 27 Jan 2004

-----Original Message----- From: Richard Moore, Moorich2@aol.com Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 5:58 PM

It has been awhile since I posted here. I pulled out THE NIGHT MAYOR by Kim

Newman but I just wasn't in the mood for SF, even hardboiled.

--Hope you have a good time with it! It's a labor of love, even if even more obviously of the films than the fiction that inspired them.

I bid my token bid because that issue [of ARGOSY] contains a story by Carroll John Daly AND it was in the June 1923 issue of Black Mask that Daly introduced Race Williams in "Knights of the Open Palm."

So the Argosy arrived yesterday and I read Daly's "The Lexicon of Youth" and

I can report that it is dreadful beyond belief. Meant to be a funny, light story, it is tediously ponderous or perhaps ponderously tedious. Whatever talent Daly had, that month in 1923 it all went into the Race Williams story.

--Having read "Knights of the Open Palm," I can attest that there wasn't much talent to mete out. But perhaps it was a less painful read than the ARGOSY story.

Another purchase came in today: the digest "Detective Story Annual 1948." Similar to the Standard Magazines' pulp "Top Detective Annual" (which reprinted from the Thrilling magazines from a decade or more back) this annual contains reprints from the Street & Smith detective magazines from 1944 to 1946.

--Not long before S&S folded the tent on Daisy Bacon's DETECTIVE STORY run, in '49...rather a pity, given how diverse DS was. My postwar issues range from weird-menace through hb to cozy, a rather larger range than any other CF magazine since, without actually going beyond CF (as with FUTURES or, arguably, CRIMEWAVE). I wonder if sales were truly bad enough to make it not worth continuing (and ASTOUNDING SF's sales good enough to hold onto, in comparison?). Or if Popular, which apparently bought the title (and abortively revived it in the early '50s), made an unrefusable offer... TM