RARA-AVIS: Scarface and White Oleander

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 24 Jan 2004

Thanks, Bill, for the word on Margolies book, and thanks to everyone else for the recommendations on Leonard. Are there any good used bookstores in San Diego? I've got some business out at the North Island naval base. Flying out tomorrow.

Watched Scarface again here recently. Pacino is great. I think I was watching some variation of the original, an anniversary edition or something like that. It had been too long since I saw it the first time to tell the difference. I have mixed feelings about the proliferation of variations on a movie. It's been done for a long time but it's a lot easier now using digital technology.

The other movie was White Oleander. I haven't read the book. I'm not sure if it's totally hardboiled. It surely doesn't involve a bunch of tough guys kicking ass, but the girl's mother is pretty darned tough, and the girl becomes progressively harder as she moves through a series of traumatic experiences in foster homes. The mood actually approaches noir, I think, portraying a series of people caught up in a harsh world they have little control over. I recommend it.

miker