Re: RARA-AVIS: Bad Luck w/ Leonard

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 23 Jan 2004

Chris wrote:

"My maxim for the Leonard crime novel is "Detroit setting = great novel." Any other setting can be hit and miss . . ."

You mirror my sentiments exactly. I also liked the first couple Florida novels -- Stick (one of very few Leonard novels to reprise a lead character, from Swag, though many side characters flit in and out of his books) and Cat Chaser, in particular. Glitz was the first of his novels about which I had misgivings. I kept reading him for a while, but with diminishing returns. Countering my usual feelings on books made into movies, I prefer the movies to his more recent books -- Out of Sight, Rum Punch (Jackie Brown), even Get Shorty -- but his earlier books to the movies -- Stick, Cat Chaser, Big Bounce, still haven't seen Mr Majestyk. I've got a couple more unread recent ones on my shelves, but don't feel any hurry to get to them.

Mark