RARA-AVIS: Re: Bad luck with Leonard

From: gadfly@spamcop.net
Date: 23 Jan 2004

> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 07:34:58 -0800 (PST)
> From: Ed Poe < eddyapoe@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Bad luck with Leonard
>
> Miker,
>
> You and I must be the only two guys on the planet who
> don't get Elmore Leonard.

Count me as another. I was smitten at first but after 3 or 4 novels I fell out of like with him. It's a weird phenomenon that I've been through before although I don't quite understand it. I think the first was Robert Parker - when I read LOOKING FOR RACHEL WALLACE I was very impressed and quickly became addicted to his Spenser series. After devouring several more I suddenly, and inexplicably, became bored with them. Now, his writing seems trivial when I try to give it a go. The same applies to Elmore Leonard and Carl Hiassen's books. In all three cases, I was passionate about their novels upon discovering them but later began to question my own taste for having liked them so much.

--
gadfly@spamcop.net