Re: RARA-AVIS: Bad luck with Leonard

From: John Williams ( johnwilliams@ntlworld.com)
Date: 23 Jan 2004

> I haven't had good luck with Leonard. I attempted reading something
> called GET SHORTY a long time ago and couldn't even finish it. And
> that's unusual for me. I finish nine out of ten that I start. A year or
so
> ago I read 52 PICKUP, and I thought it was better but nothing really
> special.
>
> I'm ready to give him another shot. I've got KILLSHOT, STICK, and
> UNKNOWN MAN #89. Which of these would you recommend?
>
> Thanks, miker

Stick - that's the book that got me interested in this whole area of literature. It may be that Leonard's influence has been so immense that it's hard now to see how original he was. Also you have indeed been a little unlucky in your choices so far - the two you've read effectively bracket his great period. The overrated Get Shorty was the first book to show Leonard resting on his laurels, while the faintly misogynist 52 Pick-Up was written just before he really got into his stride. Unknown Man is pretty good early Leonard - his only PI novel I think. Killshot is definitely minor.

John