Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: James Ellroy for the Pulitzer?

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Jan 2004

<<It's been my experience that tortuous writing is a plus for the Nobel prize.>>

I don't think the prize is biased that way. Among US winners, only Faulkner could be said to have a complicated prose, which I love of course.

Sometimes they do reward formal contributions, rather than content. This is particularly true of poets and playwrights. But on this list we don't have to worry about those. The forms are pretty stable and what counts is the treatment and the content within those established forms.

Best,

MrT