Re: RARA-AVIS: Rara-Avis presents the Nobel

From: tieresias@att.net
Date: 22 Jan 2004

First off, I agree whole-heartedly with Mario's choices for Nobel candidates. More below...

> Mario wrote about potential Nobel candidates:
>
> The US could put a great lineup for the Nobel with,
> say, Bradbury, Leonard, Westlake and Cormac McCarthy
> --I did not say Updike or Oates. Crime and SF writers
> have been for decades among the most interesting US
> writers. Not a great secret, except to The
> Establishment.
>
> *************
> I would second Cormac McCarthy. BLOOD MERIDIAN is
> stunning. CHILD OF GOD ain't too shaggy, either.
> Does it only go to living people? I'd put Willeford
> high up on the short list.

Ever read ALL THE PRETTY HORSES? Pretty good too. BLOOD MERIDIAN is terribly violent and absolutely riveting.

> I'm reading Ross MacDonald's ZEBRA-STRIPED HEARSE
> right now, and I'm relieved. I didn't much care for
> his DARK TUNNEL, and I was not looking forward to the
> prospect of reading another of his and deciding I
> didn't like him. I like this one. It's got a lot
> more soul that the first.

ZEBRA-STRIPED HEARSE was my first exposure to MacDonald. While I was driving back to Washington state, moving the final time from Las Vegas back home for good, I listened to a full-cast production of it starring Harris Yulin as Archer, and featuring Joe Pantoliano and Jennifer Tilly. It blew me away!

Mike, others in the series you might enjoy are THE CHILL, THE MOVING TARGET, BLACK MONEY, THE WYCHERLY WOMAN, THE FAR SIDE OF THE DOLLAR, just to name a few of my favorites. THE DROWNING POOL ain't half bad either, come to think of it.

All the Best,

Brian, who loves Ross MacDonald and is pleased to hear that you've stuck with him, because when he's good, he really shines!