Re: RARA-AVIS: Review of new Elmore Leonard book

From: David Wright ( dwright333@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Jan 2004

Ugh. That whole pedantic 'What is Literature' question is about as pointless and tedious as my other faves: 'What is a Classic?,' 'What is Poetry?' and 'What is Art?' Worthy of Lagodo.

Anymore when fretting souls come up to me for clarification on the point - and they do, after giving them some explanatory blather, I tell them that basically, Literature is Latin for 'reading material.' A good book is a good book, at least in the eye of the beholder.

David Wright Seattle Public Library

--- Mario Taboada < matrxtech@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Mark D-J says:
>
> <<What the hell is wrong with something being a
> damn fine
> crime novel? I've enjoyed a lot of those a lot
> more than a
> lot of the capital-L Literature I've read
> (which is
> arguably a genre of its own)
>
> So arguably that I reject the proposition out
> of hand.
> Literature is made up of all the genres, and
> includes,
> besides pure genre works, lots of works that
> either span
> several genres or are so singular that they
> can't be easily
> pegged --or that belong to genres that will
> only be
> identified as such and named later...

=====
"Do not do unto others as you would they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same."

-George Bernard Shaw