Re: RARA-AVIS: Review of new Elmore Leonard book

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Jan 2004

Mark D-J says:

<<What the hell is wrong with something being a damn fine crime novel? I've enjoyed a lot of those a lot more than a lot of the capital-L Literature I've read (which is arguably a genre of its own).>>

So arguably that I reject the proposition out of hand. Literature is made up of all the genres, and includes, besides pure genre works, lots of works that either span several genres or are so singular that they can't be easily pegged --or that belong to genres that will only be identified as such and named later...

Of course Leonard writes literature. What else could he have been doing all these years and decades?

Best, and thanks for the update on Leonard. I have this one and the previous one still to read, though I do reread the old ones regularly. The last one was Mr. Majestyk, a wicked piece of work and a minor masterpiece of the Leonardiana genre.

Best,

MrT