Re: RARA-AVIS: Jonathan Lethem

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 17 Jan 2004

William Denton wrote:
> Has anyone else been reading Lethem recently? Looking through the
> archives I see we talked about him on and off in 1999 and 2000, because of
> MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN, but not a lot since then.

******************* I read MOTHERLESS BROOKLYN last summer and liked it. The way he presented tourette's was great. I have no idea if it was an accurate portrayal or not, but it went way farther than just making a joke of it. You got inside his head and you could sense the workings of his mind and how it generated the impulsive bursts. It was an interesting story.

Somebody suggested that it was too politically correct, and that surprised me. If anything, I thought it leaned towards some very un-PC stereotypes that are dangerous nowadays.

miker