Re: RARA-AVIS: The Case of the Overrated Mystery Novel

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Jan 2004

<<As a matter of fact, was he considered such before Macdonald was annointed? Wasn't it in retrospect?>>

I don't think so. In fact, I remember reading that Faulkner considered and treated Chandler as an equal. Macdonald was anointed by Leonard, but before that, critics saw him as a less exciting Chandler with more psychological depth, which is about right, I think.

Some of the crap in the article reminds me of Edmund Wilson's wrongheaded assessments of the crime genre. Wilson was a great critic, but here he shows a dead ear rather than a keen intellect.

Best,

Mario