RARA-AVIS: Hemingway and the army

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Dec 2003

Bill Crider wrote: Speaking of poor eyesight, weren't both Hemingway and e. e. cummings rejected for service because of their eyesight? They both volunteered for the ambulance corps.

***************** Whoops! Guess I should have read your post before sending mine, Bill. I think Hemingway's eyesight problem involved him getting poked in the eye with a stick when he was a youth, probably by one of them ornery sisters of his. It didn't stop him from dropping numerous big animals over in Africa at ranges measured in hundreds of yards. Although he hunted there later in his life with Mary, the best trips were with Pauline. She's referred to in THE GREEN HILLS OF AFRICA as POM, for poor ole momma.

miker