RARA-AVIS: Chandler in WWI

From: Joy Matkowski ( jmatkowski1@comcast.net)
Date: 17 Dec 2003

I don't think a lot of applicants were being rejected. My cousin the local museum director and amateur historian tells me the U.S. Army opened hernia-repair hospitals to make the many otherwise suitable draftees war-worthy. Remember that in 1917 human heavy lifting was everyday common on farms and in factories.

Joy

>Richard Moore wrote:
> "Yet whatever tranquillity Chandler may have felt was disrupted by
America's
> declaration of war in 1917. As an American, he had not joined up in 1914,
but
> in August 1917, together with Gordon Pascal, Julian's son, he went up to
> Victoria, British Columbia, and enlisted in the Canadian army. After the
war he
> told some of his friends that he had tried to join the American Army, only
> be rejected for bad eyesight; but it is more likely that he preferred the
> Canadians because, as he admitted, "'it was still natural for me to prefer
> British uniform,' which his dual nationality permitted. Moreover, the
Canadian army
> paid a separation allowance to his mother, which the American would not
do,
> and this was an important consideration."
>
> Looking at the Tom Hiney biography, I don't see the statement that joining
> the Canadian army was a quicker way to the front, although at war for
three
> years by 1917 that is certainly true. Hiney does make a good case that
Chandler
> was restless as a 28 year old accountant living with his mother and
joining the
> army was an honorable way for him to leave his mother alone in L.A.
without