Re: RARA-AVIS: RE: Tama Janowitz

From: Michael Robison ( zspider@gte.net)
Date: 07 Dec 2003

Dick Lochte wrote <snip>: The name "Peyton" is probably a nod (conscious, self-conscious or otherwise) to "Peyton Loftis," the downwardly spiraling protagonist of William Styron's brilliant "Lie Down in Darkness."

********************* Thanks for putting it in context, Dick. Based on everybody's comments, I think I'm going to pass on Ms Janowitz. I didn't mind Bret Easton Ellis's AMERICAN PSYCHO. I actually thought it was amusing and funny in a satirical sort of way, but nothing to really write home about. I wonder in Tosches fits in this same category.

The Peyton reference couldn't stretch all the way back to Grace's PEYTON PLACE, could it? It was a major affair when it was written.

Thanks, miker