Re: RARA-AVIS: Peyton Amberg?

From: Karen Anderson ( karenand@mac.com)
Date: 07 Dec 2003

On Dec 7, 2003, at 1:00 AM, "Michael Robison" < zspider@gte.net> wrote
> Subject: RARA-AVIS: Peyton Amberg?
>
> Daughter and I were hanging out at the Barnes and Noble last night and
> right before we left I found PEYTON AMBERG, by Tama Janowitz. Has
> anybody heard of this author or book? The reason I ask about it is
> that
> the cover has a hardcore pulp look to it.

It's more of Janowitz's over-the-top chick-pop (improbably gorgeous woman in New York self-destructs via sleeping with every man in sight to make up for low self-esteem caused by her crazy mother). No hardcore pulp about it, though some of the negative reader reviews on Amazon indicate that those who dipped into it came out wanting to wreak mayhem on Janowitz. I believe there were two covers for this book, and you saw the alternate in the hardcore pulp style. Perhaps that cover is an attempt to appear ironic.

Karen