Re: Writing the same book, over and over (was) RARA-AVIS: Chandle r or Hammett

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Dec 2003

Speaking for myself, I like series, always have. But I recognize the tendency among series writers to depend on formula. Sometimes this works well, sometimes it doesn't and eventually gets old and tired.

Because of the negative connotation the phrase
"formual writing" has, the term I prefer to use is
"familiar recipe." If yo like a dish, you'll like it the next time, as long as you vary your menu.

And a cook can use the same basic recipe over and over again, while varying the ingredients here and there to add variety.

The best series writers do much the same thing with their books and stories.

JIM DOHERTY