RARA-AVIS: The Daly Story

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Dec 2003

JIM wrote: The way Spillane tells it, Daly's agent saw the letter and instituted a plagiarism suit, and Daly canned her because he hadn't gotten a fan letter in years and wasn't about to sue the person who wrote it.

**************** That's a great story, Jim. Gave me a smile. Daly was kind of a strange character, according to Frank Gruber. I guess he had gone into the city to meet an editor or something and he got lost and showed up on a lady's doorstep asking if she knew where Daly lived. The woman happened to be his neighbor and she looked at him strange and noted that he was Daly, and he asked her if she would please just answer the question. According to Gruber, Daly didn't get out much. Another story is that he bought a big handgun to get the feel of Race Williams and he got in trouble for having it. I can't imagine why. Did you need a permit to carry a handgun back then?

A lot of people question the quality of Daly's work, and this leads to questions as to why Cap Shaw, with his high standards, continued to accept Daly's stuff when he became editor of Black Mask (in 1926?). From what I hear, Cap didn't like his work but had to print it because the readers loved it.

miker