RARA-AVIS: Chandler or Hammett

From: Bludis Jack ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Dec 2003

In "The Maltese Falcon" Hammett has the best single PI novel, although he could have annnounce the killer after about chapter three.

Chandler has the better body of work and is the most influential of all the PI writers because of his imitators. Many PI writers today are trying to shake the Marlowe Paradigm and many are succeeding.

After much listening to this ongoing discussion and rereading some of the work, I have come to the conclusion that Ross MacDonald's Archer far exceeds John D's McGee. John D's paradigm was too exact--each book was like the last book or the one before it.

Spillane is more influential that either of the Macs, not because he is better--which he isn't--but because he has more imitators.

Parker's contribution, I think, is the domestic other life and the violent sidekick.
  Jack Bludis

===== UPDATED 11/18/03 http://JackBludis.com