RARA-AVIS: "Strangers On A Train." Two Versions

From: chrisaschneider@earthlink.net
Date: 03 Dec 2003

Which version was the "one version" that you saw, British or US?

I've only seen the last half of the British version, which mostly seemed different to me for its version of the final "tag" scene ("stranger approached Roman & Granger" versus "Roman tells Granger about his pants"). The former, the old US version, seemed much stronger. Effective as a final laugh, yet also containing the hint that everyone one encounters is a potential Bruno Antony.

Reportedly there are significant differences in the initial "pick-up" scene between Granger and Walker. Yes, no? I'd be curious to hear about those differences.

Hmm?

c.

P.S. There's something of a tradition of complaining about Ruth Roman's performance in "Strangers." Me, I think she's singularly effective -- notably in that "Roman meets Granger in the vestibule" scene which is like a miniature reprise of the Grant/Bergman "prolonged kiss" scene in "Notorious." Roman could do good things. Here, in Vidor's "Beyond The Forest" and "Lighting Strikes Twice," in that spiritual document entitled "Love Has Many Faces" ...

-----Original Message----- From: Michael Robison < miker_zspider@yahoo.com> Sent: Dec 3, 2003 4:26 AM To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Highsmith, Nation review

Occasional Doug wrote: Some titles, by the way, may be different in British versions/translations. Highsmith isn't traditionally hard-boiled (which works by me), but I'd say she's definitely worth reading beyond Ripley and "Strangers on a Train."

***************** I recently rented a DVD of Strangers on a Train and there was an American version of the movie on one side and a British version on the other. Great movie. I only watched one version. Smiled when I saw Hitchcock himself getting on the train. Although Highsmith might not be hardboiled, I think she is definitely noir. That's actually an assumption on my part. I have yet to read anything by Highsmith. Need to fix that one of these days.

miker