RARA-AVIS: Malzberg, Woolrich

From: chrisaschneider@earthlink.net
Date: 02 Dec 2003

Yes, yes, YES! That is, as a rule, my response to Malzberg.

I'd be entirely in favor of spending time with "Herovit's," which I loved the last time I read it. I'm not sure whether it was "Overlay" or "Underlay," both of 'em Malzberg's, that I read ... in either case, it didn't stick with me. I have quite a fondness for "Gather In The Hall of The Planets," which he wrote under his "K.M. O'Donnell" pseudonym. Also for "The Remaking of Sigmund Freud."

Is it "HB," though? Cynical, yes, but ... I would tend to associate Mazlberg more with writers like Philip Roth and Stanley Elkin, professional worriers and probers and pokers who make funny/distressing observations rather than hard-boiled investigators of those well-known "mean streets."

Malzberg has written well of Cornell Woolrich, who himself had rather a gift for becoming distressed. Perhaps both of 'em are more Noir than Hard-Boiled?

c.

-----Original Message----- From: Todd Mason < Todd.Mason@tvguide.com> Sent: Dec 2, 2003 8:00 AM To: "' rara-avis@icomm.ca'" < rara-avis@icomm.ca> Subject: RARA-AVIS: Avram Davidson's MASTERS OF THE MAZE...and...

[ ... ]

Barry Malzberg's HEROVIT'S WORLD might likewise be worth consideration here...and his UNDERLAY...

TM