Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler or Hammett? -- Plus A Glance At John Morgan Wilson

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 02 Dec 2003

Chris Schneider wrote:

"Why is it that I usually hear about Chandler and his influence, and almost never about Hammett? Is the RC influence that much greater, or have I been listening to the wrong conversations? And, if there are writers one could point to as Hammett acolytes, who exactly would those writers be?"

Well, Hammett acolyte numero uno would be Raymond Chandler himself. He was a pretty big fan of Hammett's stuff, and rightly so. I love Chandler's work, but for me, there's no question who the really big shot in crime fiction was in the 20th century. Hammett started it all (unless you want to count Carroll John Daly, and who in their right mind would want to do that?).

All the Best,

Brian