Re: RARA-AVIS: hardboiled science fiction

From: Karen Anderson ( karenand@mac.com)
Date: 01 Dec 2003

On Nov 28, 2003, at 2:06 PM, RARA-AVIS Digest wrote:

> Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 15:57:00 -0500
> From: "Joy Matkowski" < jmatkowski1@comcast.net>
> Subject: RARA-AVIS: hardboiled science fiction
>
> That sounds good to me, miker. I don't like science fiction because
> it's so
> unrealistic, but I haven't read more than a tiny bit because I don't
> like
> it.
> I didn't like British mysteries because I didn't know there was
> anything
> beyond that posh stuff, featuring people with no visible means of
> support
> and their lackeys, until we had BritNoir month, which opened my eyes
> (and
> wallet).
> Maybe an HBSF month--in January, when I plan to have lots of gift
> certificates?--can do the same. Would anybody knowledgeable like to
> volunteer?
>
> Joy
>
> Michael Robison wrote:
>> We really should have a hardboiled/noir science
>> fiction month. I've read very little of Ray Bradbury.
>> I think I'd dig into his stuff that month. Plus that
>> Tim Powers novel I've got.

Joy, our tastes intersect again. As a great fan of Larry Niven's Gil
"the Arm" Hamilton stories (most of them collected in FLATLANDER), I'm all for this. I'd love to hear about similar material. If anyone would like to get a head start with the Niven, I hear there are a couple of additional Hamilton stories on Niven's ebook site...

Karen

********************* Karen G. Anderson Contributing Editor January Magazine http://www.januarymagazine.com email: karenand@mac.com