RARA-AVIS: The Mammoth Book of Pulp Action

From: Bill Crider ( bcrider@houston.rr.com)
Date: 26 Nov 2003

I picked this one up the other day, and I was looking forward to reading it. However, it's been a big disappointment so far. The first story, which features Erle Stanley Gardner's Patent Leather Kid is OK (you can't go wrong with a masked Zorro type), and Steve Fisher's "Goodbye, Hannah" is also pretty good (but I'd read it not long ago in another anthology). Raoul Whitfield's story comes from "Breezy Stories," which was a pulp, but there's no action here. And it's not a very good story. Ed McBain's story isn't even from a pulp. It's from Playboy, and there's no action at all. It's a two-character story, quite long, and it's all conversation. I'm beginning to feel as if I was hornswoggled. The next story is Bruno Fischer's "Smile, Corpse, Smile," which has a dandy title. Too bad the story doesn't quite live up to it. Maybe things will pick up as I get farther into the book.

And a happy hardboiled Thanksgiving to one and all.

Bill Crider