Re: RARA-AVIS: Howard Clark (was:Crippen&Landru)

From: Ron Clinton ( clinton65@att.net)
Date: 22 Nov 2003

> Richard wrote:
> Also, MikeR, I recommend in the highest terms Clark
> Howard. Crippen & Landru has published collections
> of his wonderful shorter fiction such as CHALLENGE
> THE WIDOW-MAKER (2000).

I couldn't agree more; his fiction is simply wondeful, incorporating the dark poignancy of Ed Gorman without the distracting wistfulness into which he (very) occasionally lapses -- Clark's work empitomizes beautifully the naked, brutal truth of dashed dreams and conflicted lives...terrific stuff. I only wish more of it was collected. And on that theme, if it hasn't been mentioned before, he has another collection out from Five-Star entitled CROWDED LIVES. Let's hope there's a third one soon.

Ron C.