RARA-AVIS: Re: Gil Vine and Mystery*File 40

From: Steve Lewis ( lewis@ntplx.net)
Date: 22 Nov 2003

At 04:00 AM 11/22/03 -0500, you wrote:
> > I'll be interested in what you think of Vine, although I have not read
>that
> > novel, and am still just sampling the series.
>
>I read that Gil Vine novel last Monday. It was one of those
>action-filled stories with nothing else to tell. Gil Vine - well I don't
>think I'll remember him for very long.
>
>Regards,
>Geir Glosvik

Good morning.

In case any of you might be interested, Richard Moore has combined his recent postings on Rara-Avis concerning Stewart Sterling and his various detectives, including Gil Vine, into an article that will appear in the new issue of Mystery*File, out very shortly.

Mystery*File is a general purpose mystery review and commentary fanzine which will be available in print form only. I'm reviving it this month after a long hiatus.

Also in this upcoming issue:

Addenda to Crime Fiction IV, by Al Hubin The Gold Medal Corner, by Bill Crider The Crime of My Life, by Marv Lachman

And tons of reviews and commentary on all kinds of mysteries, from cozies
(and gothics) to hard-boiled private eyes. Many other contributors have helped to fill the 32 pages of this first new issue in several years.

 From the introductory pages, where some history and an overview of the new magazine is given:

"A primary focus of Mystery*File is not to be an up-to-date newsletter for the field, but a place where old and new works co-exist, where older mysteries can be brought up and discussed as well as those by the most recent hot authors, and where the careers of writers can be looked at in perspective. Mystery*File will be for those fans who love to read and talk about mysteries and series characters, and those who love to make checklists and those who love to have them."

If you're interested in learning more, reply to me off list, and I'll send you a copy of the first two pages, including subscription information, by return email.

                                         Best

                                          Steve